This recipe makes 'a lot' (about 10 servings) but I find I get through the frozen portions quite quickly - great after the pub with just a pitta.
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- Fennel seeds
- 6 tins of beans (I use a mixture of cannellini, pinto and kidney beans for interest and variety)
- 2 packs of sausages (ie 12) Sainsbury's 'Tolouse' or 'Sicilian' are great.
- 1 pack streaky bacon
- 1 pack of black pudding (you can leave this out if you must / are from south of Brum but I love it)
- 3 tins of tomatoes - ideally chopped
- Paprika (this just adds flavour / colour - 'hot' paprika is a complete misnomer to me. If you can find smoked paprika use this, it's a great flavour)
- Mixed herbs (I use herbs de provence as it's 'french' but any mixture will do)
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and crushed
- Chopped chillies (optional)
- Coarsely-ground black pepper
- Red wine
- Fry / grill the sausages until lightly brown, set aside and cut into thin slices when cool
- Grill bacon and chop when cool.
- Fry black pudding, break up slices into 'mash' and set aside.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a heavy-bottomed casserole dish
- Add the chopped onions and lightly brown, add 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds (you can grind these is you like or leave them whole)
- Add the crushed garlic (and chillies if desired) and fry gently
- Add 3 teaspoons of paprika and fry gently in the oil
- Add the washed and drained beans and fry gently stirring to ensure all ingredients are well mixed
- Add the cooked / chopped meats and the tomatoes and wine (anything from 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle). If you want to leave the wine out substitute with water.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of herbs, 1 teaspoon of salt and 2-3 of black pepper.
- Place lid on the casserole dish and cook in the oven on a low heat for 2-2.5 hours until the sauce is rich and thick and the beans are soft
- Taste and adjust salt
At home this can be served with pitta bread to soak up the sauce or rice if you need more carbohydrates. When camping it's a meal in itself or can be eaten with crackers / oat cakes